Monday, October 12, 2009

Infections


Sometimes, when I'm just run down or I need a little alone time, I'll say I don't feel well. What I'm really feeling is tired and overwhelmed. This is not one of those times. This is not one of those times where you can discard your "upset stomach" the moment something fun comes along. And I'm good at the faux upset stomach. It started in first grade when I somehow figured out that if I went to the nurse before Mrs. Walker's math class with an upset stomach, that meant I didn't have to go. And when I was teaching, I'd occasionally take a "sick" day. I've always just needed them to recoup or as an excuse to be excessively lazy.

But now I don't get sick days, and there's some serious karma going on because I get sick now, really yucky, sniffly, headachy sick. And while I know it's part of being a parent of a toddler, it still sucks. Because Declan and my days truly depend on being mobile. That kid cannot and does not just entertain himself at home. And he gets even more agitated if I want to do something as unimaginable as sitting down. He'll pull my finger and grunt impatiently until I get up. And when I do, he'll stop, but the moment I sit again it starts back up. So I want to get this straight: I do not ever get to sit down during the day.

So I'm sure you can imagine that the fact that we've been sick four out of the last eight weeks has made even mere existence a little, well, awful. Options are limited for life with a toddler, and a sick toddler can't go to story time, the daycare at the gym or play groups. Which leaves...not much, especially if you're not allowed to sit down.

Now I realize I shouldn't complain. Staying home with Declan is a great privilege, but I'd sure love a sick day now and then.

No comments: