Monday, October 3, 2011

My Spirited Child






One of my biggest challenges is balancing Declan's boundless energy and penchant for mayhem with Wyatt's separation anxiety. Because, of course, whenever Wyatt needs me, Declan magically appears. Actually he doesn't appear, he climbs, clamors, and elbows his way between me and Wyatt and, as if by magic, somehow headbutts me. Every time. I have a fat lip most of the time, and I'm just anticipating the day he knocks out one of my teeth.

Wyatt, on the other hand, is already 22 1/2 pounds and wants to be held all the time. You'd think I'd have ripped arms from carrying that around all day, but what I actually have is a stiff neck and back. And I think I'm developing something Quasimotoesque at the bottom of my neck.

So I've decided to seek outside help. I got a parenting book about "spirited" children, which is a nice way to say "crazy". We'll see if it helps, so far I've only had time two read the first chapter, and I think Dec got his hands on it and ripped out a couple of pages. Actually, that was a joke. What he did do today however was flush a whole role of toilet paper, dump out a whole bottle of hydrogen peroxide, and write all over the couch with black pen. No, he didn't take a nap or eat dinner. You can see why I need some help here. Declan is such an affectionate, enthusiastic child, and I just want to make sure that I can find a way to appreciate how wonderful he is and not, you know, focus on the fact that a few days ago he took my water cup and peed in it.


Let's face it, I'm out of my league doing this alone. I'm tapping my foot and chewing my nails waiting for some progress to be made. I've also taken to loudly and vehemently telling anyone who will listen that we will not be having any more children. Someone once told me a story of a woman who had four boys and they tied her up to a chair and she had to wait until her husband got home to be freed. If you've been reading my blog, you know as well as I do that something like that is in the cards for me. But once we are in Dallas there will be two parents with two children. Manageable. That's a good word, and one I'm looking forward to.


For now I'm trying to enjoy my wonderful friends and family in and around Lawrence. Apparently Fall in Dallas isn't quite the same as in Kansas, so I'm also making note of the beautiful red, yellow, and deep purple leaves in my neighborhood. And Wyatt's adorable teeth. They are my favorite things in the world right now. Staying positive people, staying positive.

No comments: